Hey, ladies! So sorry I've been MIA for a few weeks. We left China on August 1st, did some traveling around Singapore, Berlin, and Oslo, and then finally made it back to the US ten days later! We spent a few days in New Jersey with Samuel's family, and then braved the drive back.
Things have not slowed down since we got home. Our basement flooded, which took almost two weeks to fix up. Thank goodness for my mom, who flew out as soon as the gardeners noticed it, and took care of the bulk of it before we got back. Then, it was just days of settling back in, cleaning, etc. In the midst of all that madness, I received my very first invitation to New York Fashion Week! So on top of all the housework, I was scrambling to put together my outfits and book my tickets and hotel. Phew!
Being the crazy person that I am, I even managed to squeeze in a photo session with a new photographer I found. I also researched some gyms and found a trainer to help get me back on track. We had two sessions before I jetted off to the Big Apple. So needless to say, life has kept me busy.
I'm still getting over some weird sore throat situation that started before New York and worsened over the trip. We attended a Jonas Brothers concert the Friday I got back, which certainly did not help my throat. But we had an amazing time! I felt like I was 12 again, singing along and dancing to all their old songs. It was quite possibly my favorite concert that I've ever attended!
As I'm writing this, I'm also trying to clean up our living room (it's a disaster) before my parents arrive tomorrow(!!). I saw my mom not long ago, but haven't seen my dad since February, so I'm ready to give him the biggest hug tomorrow night! My mom's birthday will be in a few days, too, and we'll be celebrating with her here, so I have some fun things planned to celebrate.
Anyway, enough of my rambling. Here are some fun clicks and link to things that have caught my attention this week:
On my mind and online:
I'd been meaning to buy these books for the longest time, since I loved the movie so much! Last week, after seeing only two of the titles at Target, I sat myself down and ordered the entire trilogy off Amazon. It's only $26.99 for all three books! I want to start reading more this year. I used to love reading as a kid, but suddenly stopped in high school because I didn't have time. I never resumed in college. I figured, what better book to start with than the one that everyone's been raving about? I'll let y'all know how I like them!
I don't want to say too much on this topic because I've already shared my thoughts before, and it's getting more and more saddening to discuss. If you've been following the news, Hong Kong is in a pure state of chaos right now. It's so much to take in, and I just saw this article today that seemed like things might take a turn for the better. But who knows...this is politics, after all.
As if getting invited to New York Fashion Week didn't psych me out enough, I also received some invites to events in London and Paris. What?! I was on cloud 9! Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to London Fashion Week due to the Jonas Brothers concert and my throat. It was all just too close together (I now realize why it's called fashion month) and would've probably costed an arm and a leg to fly over for three days. It wasn't worth it, and I didn't feel like I would've enjoyed everything in full.
I do hope that I'll be able to attend next season! I love London and haven't been back in four years. I'm still debating whether or not I should go to Paris. I don't want to go alone, so a huge factor in deciding would be if I could find someone to go with me.
Thankfully, my dietary restrictions are self-imposed and I won't actually collapse if I accidentally ingest bacon. But millions and millions of people around the world who have severe allergies to common ingredients, like dairy, gluten, or peanuts. I think if I had a serious allergy like such, I would eat out as little as possible to stay safe. But do you think it's restaurants' responsibilities to cater to people who have these allergies? It seems like a massive liability. And just how cautious do they have to be? Just thinking about all the cross-contamination in kitchens sends shivers down my spine.
I love Christmas and I love Christmas decorations, so I can totally get behind this. I don't think I'm going to have Samuel drag our tree up from the basement until late-October, but I'm getting excited at the prospect of putting up lights and ornaments and scattering pinecones around the place. When do you normally put up all your decorations?
1. Sales happening this week:
Anthropologie: extra 40% off sale items (no code required)
Banana Republic: 40% off with code STYLE and extra 20% off (no code needed)
Bloomingdale's: gift card offers with different spend levels (no code needed)
GAP: 40% off with code STYLE and extra 10% off with code BEST
J. Crew: extra 50% off sale styles with code EXTRA
LOFT: 30% off full-price tops (no code needed)
Lord & Taylor: buy more, save more event (no code needed) and 20% off clearance with code BIGDEAL
Macy's: extra 30% off with code VIP
2. New-to-me brand alert: House of Campbell! They were one of the designers I saw at NYFW, and I was immediately obsessed with everything that they showed. All the pieces were chic and fashionable, but still very wearable. One of my favorite looks was this fierce velvet suit. I've been stalking their website waiting for some of the items that I saw on the runway to drop.
3. It's fall, but that doesn't mean we stop rocking dresses! I rounded up some of the prettiest fall frocks here. Most of these you can wear straight into winter, with a pair of tights, ankle booties, and a sweater or a coat layered on top.
4. Have you seen Kate Spade's latest handbag launch? Major heart eyes for everything! Take a look for yourself!
5. Some other cute finds:
- Blazer minidresses were one thing that I kept seeing over and over in New York. I really love this crisp white one!
- This hair tie is adorable! I'd order one for myself, except it wouldn't look very striking against my dark brown hair...
- I didn't like this psychedelic print at first, but now I'm kind of digging it! I just wonder if there are hippos in the print?
- Picking up these boots for fall; they're such a classic style and color, you can't really go wrong with them.
- We'll see if it'll work out or just be one of those things that's not meant to be, but I'm ordering a pair of pants! You heard me right! After
trying a jumpsuit for the first time a few months back, I'm challenging myself to branch out and try other styles and expand my look.
That's all for this week! Here's hoping I'll be able to stay on schedule and share more fun finds with you this time next week, on the dot!