14 FUN VALENTINE'S DATE IDEAS
Valentine's Day is one of my favorite holidays. I haven't always been a fan, but once I shifted my focus from it being a strictly romantic holiday to one that celebrates love and spreading love, I quickly jumped on board.
So whether you're spending Valentine's Day with your lover or your loveliest girlfriends, here are some of my favorite fun activities to help you celebrate:
1. Let's start things off with something underrated, my personal favorite activity when we just want to stay in: order pizza (or whatever floats your boat) and spend the next few hours watching Netflix together. We usually pick a movie that looks interesting or watch a few episodes of my favorite shows.
2. Go out to a show (or a concert). Samuel and I spent the past few Valentine's Day in NYC, and every time, we went to see a show. Our favorites are The Book of Mormon, Aladin, and The Lion King.
3. Cook together. You don't necessarily have to cook a meal from scratch at home -- there are plenty of cooking and baking classes! We love going out to fondue restaurants, since it's no prep and all fun. Fondue restaurants are always such a blast because: 1. CHEESE!; 2. fun cooking methods (grill, broth, etc.); 3. chocolate fondue for dessert! These meals typically last anywhere from 1.5-3 hours, so it's a great bonding/getting to know you opportunity.
4. Let your inner kid run free! We've recently rediscovered bowling and laser tag, which are still really exhilarating as adults. I highly recommend playing on opposite teams to get the competitive juices flowing.
5. I love afternoon tea -- there's something about dressing up and nibbling on little tea sandwiches, scones, and pastries and sipping on tea. During our Valentine's trips to NYC, we would always spend the afternoon at The Plaza having tea, which is always such a treat!
6. A bakery crawl (or a bar crawl, if that's your thing), aka my favorite thing to do, but sadly, calories count, so I can't do this as often as I'd like. Whenever we travel, we try to stop by as many bakeries as possible because there's nothing better than eating your way through a city. Last year, we went from Magnolia Bakery to Levain Bakery to Ladurée all within an hour. Hopping from bakery to bakery on Valentine's Day means lots of special themed treats, like chocolate covered strawberry cupcakes and pink whoopie pies.
7. Have a spa day -- nothing says "I love you" than a good pampering session! Getting mani-pedis with friends or a couples' massage are both relaxing alternatives to going out.
8. Or you could do the opposite, take a fun workout class, and sweat it out together. There's a wide range of classes for everyone, from yoga to kickboxing to axe throwing (I know!). I don't know about you, but any day I get to attend my favorite workout class, Danceation, is a good day.
9. Play tourist in your hometown. You'd be surprised how much your city has to offer and how much you haven't seen and done. Why not head out and do something new together? We recently had our first cable car experience together in San Francisco, despite having spent so much time there, and we had a blast.
10. Game night is another go-to when we want to do something low-key. Monopoly, Apples to Apples, and Cards Against Humanity are our games of choice.
11. Sing your heart out! Karaoke is so ridiculous, but with the right people, it makes for the best hour of laughs. I've yet to go with Samuel, but the times I've gone with friends, we had the most memorable time.
12. Get crafty and go to one of those paint and sip classes. I've only done this once, but it's such a great idea for a fun night out. Not only do you get to drink wine, but you're left with a new piece of artwork for your home!
13. We used to visit comedy clubs all the time, but it's been a year since we've gone to a show. It's a great option if you just want to sit back and have a night filled with giggles. Our favorite clubs are Caroline's in NYC and Giggles Comedy in Boston.
14. I saved my favorite for last: volunteer! On a holiday that's all about spreading love, why not show some love and donate some of your precious time volunteering? Reach out to local shelters and see how you can help out, even for a little bit, this Valentine's Day. I'm dying to start volunteering at a humane society and play with puppies!
I hope this post gave you some ideas for this Wednesday or even future dates. I'd love to know what you all are doing this Valentine's Day!